Tuesday 12 March 2013

The Oxygen Mask


If you are like me, you spend much of your waking hours looking after others. We look after our children, partners, parents, friends, colleagues, patients and/or clients. The idea of "me" time falls to the bottom of the priority list...because there is just NO time!

Now I ask this question: have you ever been on an airplane? As a significant part of safety preparation, stewardesses tell us that in event of an emergency, and the cabin pressure changes, oxygen masks will fall from the ceiling panels. They show us how to put the masks on our face, and then show us how to tighten the straps to ensure the best fit. Stewardesses then tell us "if you are seated beside someone who requires assistance, please put your mask on FIRST before assisting them". Why? Because if we plan to help them first, and we're not breathing ourselves, we'll both be in big trouble!!!

Now moving back to that priority list...if we are not taking that oxygen for ourselves first, if we are not finding balance in our days, if we are not "protecting" our own needs, if we are not placing ourselves at the TOP of that priority list, we are at risk of a multitude of physical and health problems.

So, if you can remember to include balance in your daily and/or weekly routine, and protect your own time to reach for that oxygen mask, you will discover that you are a stronger caregiver to all those you care about.

Now think about it: easy to achieve, or not?

If you need a little assistance with your own oxygen mask, please feel free to contact me.

...and keep breathing!

Alyson Pancer, BSW, MSW, RSW, Registered Clinical Social Worker/CBT and Mindfulness Therapist, continuumwellness.ca


Alyson

1 comment:

  1. Hi, this is unrelated to your blog. I noticed that you only have 4 tweets on twitter that you tweeted two years ago. I wonder if you would be willing to transfer ownership of your twitter username to me. I would use it to promote a new practical guide to improved health.

    The reason I want @healthcontinuum so much is because that's what my philosophy is called. Please respond. My e-mail is: info@thehealthcontinuum.com

    ReplyDelete