Friday 16 March 2012

Why Electronics Are Tearing Us Apart

I nearly broke down in tears one night over the dinner table.  But I knew it was probably best to refrain from dropping salty drops into my soup, which was already over salted. Then I couldn't decide if I was going to put on my professional hat or my Mom hat. It seemed to be happening all the time...we were no longer a family of four, but a family of four PLUS hundreds of friends, family, work collegues, teachers or professors, etc. connected to us 24/7 through our smartphones, IPods, laptops, etc. I was quite sure that when I prepared dinner, it was only for the four of us. So why did so many people end up at our dinner table? Why did my three boys (hubby included) have to have their electronic bugs with them and place them beside their cutlery? Weren't forks, knives and spoons enough for a happy meal?

It all brought me back to the good ol' days, those days when we could only be interrupted by the telephone, there seemed to be much more time for lengthy,  uninterrupted conversations. We spoke about our days, good times, bad times, told stories, shared jokes, etc. I tried to insist that television time was separate from meal time. It worked, most of the time. When the kids were little, I would not pick up the phone, but would have my assistant (a.k.a. voicemail) take a message. I was confident that whomever was calling did not know we were having dinner, and unless it was an emergency, would not want to interrupt us. They would then, happily, leave a message, which I would happily return ASAP (after dinner).

After dinner is then another story. We split off into separate directions. My hope is that we can all curl up by the fireplace during the winter, or on the back deck during the summer, with a board game, good book, or cheerful conversation. But, the reality is: more distractions to separate us. With the TV on in the livingroom, laptops await! So, like a good Girlscout, before everyone scatters, I ask the boys if they want to  "chill" as a family with an activity, and the answer I get is, "great idea, Mom. Dad has picked up a video for us to watch".

And so, while we spend our family time together watching a movie, I notice the odd "ding" or "vibrate" make it's presence known. I look up, only to notice that my boys are multitasking. Text conversations continue even during movie time!

As a result, I have decided to resign my frustrations...after all, "if you can't beat em, join em!" As an advocate of ongoing communication, self-care, and togetherness, perhaps the world of electronics can help to facilitate that. Right?

I think I will have to choose my battles. Preserve dinnertime, where all cellphones remain off limits until dinner is over...clean up and all. Then surrender to the powers that be...as long as homework is done, chores are complete, the dog is walked, snow is shoveled, etc, etc.

Now, where did my power cord go? I'm running out of batteries!

Alyson 

No comments:

Post a Comment